Sunday, July 17, 2011

Getting closer to Africa

I got my passport in the mail last week. That was weirdly fast.
I was told 4 to 6 weeks several times.

I've been reading some news about Ethiopia. It is usually the rainy season right now but there is a drought. I checked to see if the plan is still to go there in September, and found out that we should have the dates later this month. This is getting pretty real. Thanks to my mom and everyone who has made suggestions on where to find information.

Physically I am still nervous and unsure about my readiness for travel. Since May 1st my knee has been sore and swollen. It's getting better with physical therapy but it is a constant reminder to me that I don't feel ready for this...ready for walking around in airports, sitting on a plane for many hours, travelling to another country. I am pushing myself to get to the YWCA more days than not, and still fall short of my goal.

Swimming in a lake felt really good, dancing for the first time in a long time at a friend's wedding reception felt good My knee needed some ice afterward but it felt good to move around and feel a little more normal again.

I found out that a friend of mine is from Ethiopia, not far from where we are going! That is exciting to me...I have so many questions I don't know where to start.

Financially I am beginning to feel a bit more prepared for the trip but still nervous. I feel like I am back to basics, watching my spending very carefully, becoming more aware of what is coming in and going out.

This new blank empty passport looked very odd to my daughter. She went to France last year so her passport looks used and real and full. I want to see my old Passport again and show it to her - the one my siblings and I had in 1969 when we moved to Guam. I think that one looks like a "real" passport.

No comments: